This week our guest was Theck from Maintankadin and Sacred Duty. We follow up our previous episode about Warlords of Draenor alpha changes with a meta discussion about the current state of the game and forward-looking commentary. But first, we jump into an unexpected discussion about Secret World and whether it’s the game or us as the players that emphasize the leveling style over lack of end-game because it’s a secondary MMO. (Then Vik goes off the rails asking why it’s an MMO instead of seemless co-op like Borderlands 2 or Saints Row.)
What’s In Our Cup
Theck – Harrisburg Mountain Ale
Logan – SoCo & Cream Soda
Vik – New Belgium Summer Hellas lager
Hi-Ya – The Blood of Noobs aka Calipco and raw beer-batter
What we’ve been playing
Theck – Beyond Two Souls, Diablo 3, totally not BioShock Infinite, Secret World
Logan – WoW (just for raiding), Heroes of the Storm Alpha
Vik – Heroes Alpha
Hi-Ya – LoL, but just once a day for boosted IP, because stock-piling IP is what cool kids do
- Content Pacing
- Is the current pace of content enough to keep you interested until the next release?
- What percent of your current/peak playing time will you maintain?
- Would it be better to release partial tiers periodically instead of a massive final tier then nothing for a year?
- From a Player Perspective
- From an Organizational Perspective
- Does the content gap help Blizzard’s non-WoW properties?
- State of Raiding:
- 59% of Guilds who’ve raided SoO have killed Garrosh on Normal
- 43% have taken down 1 heroic boss
- < 10% have gotten to the last three bosses
- Does raiding still matter to WoW, or is the illusion of raiding good enough?
- Is Mythic Raiding the right move, or is it Too Late?
- Warlords Alpha Changes
- Are class changes they’ve announced so far necessary changes, are they quality of life improvements, or are they changes just for the sake of making changes to create buzz?
- Would you be more or less inclined to buy WoD if there were no proposed class or race changes?
WoW Content Release Dates*
- Dec 8 2009 Ice Crown patch
- Jun 22 2010 Ruby Danctum patch
- Dec 7 2010 Cata release (1 year since ice crown)
- Nov 29 2011 Dragon Soul patch
- Sep 25 2012 Pandaria release (10 months since dragon soul)
- Sep 10 2013 Siege patch
* fact-checked by Hi-Ya Yan